MINTIKA

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Matt Noren of Tarboo







Tarboo
(206) 321-0597

What inspired you to start Tarboo?

We started Tarboo for quite a few different reasons it was a long conversation with Maikoiyo that we’d been having for about a year just about creating locally made garments, trying to rekindle garment culture, Seattle aesthetic looking at the Pacific Northwest as a place for style to begin with and then the timing was really right for us to jump onboard and do it.

What makes Tarboo different?

Tarboo has two main strains going for it. I think our aesthetic is very unique; we’ve come up with our own style between certain details in our shirt making such as rounded collars, patches or certain cuts. Then that mixed with how we produce I think the fact that we have a small boutique production model that’s completely in-house is different than how most companies do it

How do you see yourself growing?

Expanding the line a little bit, we’re really growing on the production side, so we can produce more garments, so we can produce them quicker. Looking at specific wholesale situations but getting Tarboo out there as much as we can. Right now we don’t do much wholesale but we’re looking at taking on much larger accounts.

I would love to start a Seattle mill, it would be awesome. I think logistically there is a lot that would have to come into play. I would love to see Seattle start making its own wools, denim and wovens, things like that. I think that would be phenomenal.

What do you think about the Cascadia concept?

Um…It’s fantasy it’s interesting, as a concept. It’s a question of what’s going to happen to these large national conglomerates. Does it make sense for 300,000,000 people to be wrapped up under one premise because I think if Cascadia was to happen it would have to happen all over, it couldn’t just be the United States and Cascadia it would be, the South, even the South would be broken up in specific ways, the Carolinas vs Virginia vs Florida vs Alabama they’re all very distinctly different places, then up north, the Dakotas, Montana and then the Midwest I think all that would have to happen simultaneously. I would be a fan of smaller nations I think it would be easier to manage.

Why are you partial to the Northwest?

It’s my birthplace, I grew up here. I think the people here are very fun. I like that Seattle is a place where you can really start things. You can really sink your heels in and find the resources you need and go after what you want, make some cool moves, make some things happen. I think Seattle really enjoys these things and has a culture that likes to support them and builds and keep them going.



No comments:

Post a Comment